The newest version of 1Password for Windows was released in May 2018. 1Password 7 for Windows is available as part of a 1Password membership or as a standalone license. It supports 1Password accounts, local folders, and Dropbox.
1Password 7 for Windows is included with your subscription if you have a 1Password membership, or if you belong to a team or family account.
If you don’t have a 1Password membership, you’ll see two options in the app when you upgrade:
- Try a 1Password membership free for 30 days, which includes 1Password 7.
- Purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Windows.
Find out what’s new in 1Password 7 for Windows.
Upgrade to 1Password 7
1Password 6 will automatically update to 1Password 7. When you open the app for the first time, you’ll see all your accounts.
Step 1: Install 1Password 7
To get started, download 1Password 7 and install it. When you open the app for the first time:
- You can choose a vault to import. Select your sync method, then select a vault to import.
- Your folders will be converted to tags.
- If you sync with Dropbox or a different local folder, your sync settings will be imported.
After you import your first vault, you’ll have the option in the app to sign up for a 1Password membership or purchase a license.
Step 2: Import any additional vaults
Import an additional vault into a 1Password account:
- Choose 1Password > Import and click “Agile Keychain or OPVault folder”.
- Click “Select a folder” and open your vault.
- Enter the vault password.
- Select the vault in your 1Password account where you want to import your data and click Import.
Import an additional vault as a standalone vault on your PC:
- Choose 1Password > “Open vault on this PC”.
- Select a .opvault or .agilekeychain vault and click Select Folder.
- Enter the vault password and click Open.
Step 3: Uninstall 1Password 4
To prevent conflicts with 1Password 4, uninstall it from your PC after upgrading to 1Password 7, then restart 1Password 7:
- Go to Control Panel > “Uninstall a program”.
- Select 1Password 4, choose Uninstall, and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Next, choose 1Password > Exit in 1Password 7 and open 1Password 7 again.
1Password 7 requires Windows 7 or later and Microsoft .NET 4.6.2 or later.
A license for 1Password 7 for Windows does not include a license for 1Password 7 for Mac or other versions of 1Password.
If 1Password stops syncing with Dropbox
When you import standalone vaults, 1Password will convert older ones to the newer OPVault format. Converting the vault will make a copy of it in the same folder, and you’ll need to configure your other devices to sync with the new vault.
If you see “1Password was unable to upgrade this vault”
If 1Password is unable to upgrade a standalone vault you’re trying to import, make sure that the vault is not empty and the password is correct.