If you’re upgrading from 1Password 3, you’ll need to remove the 1Password 3 extension. But first make sure all your data is safely stored in the 1Password app.
You don’t need to follow these steps if you’re upgrading from 1Password 4 or later. These steps are only for 1Password 3.
Verify that your Logins have been saved in 1Password
To make sure 1Password has all your data:
Step 1: Open and unlock 1Password
Open the 1Password 3 main app and unlock by entering your Master Password.
You can’t use 1Password 4 or 5 with the 1Password 3 extension.
Step 2: Save a new Login item in your browser
- Open your browser.
- Visit the login page of a website. The website doesn’t matter. Any login page will do. The username and password don’t have to be real, either, because you’re not actually going to sign in.
- Enter anything for the username and password on the website’s login page, but DO NOT try to sign in.
- Click in your browser’s toolbar to open the 1Password extension.
- Click the
+button in the top right corner of the 1Password extension.
- Enter a name for the login, like “Ready to uninstall”.
- Click Save in the top right corner.
Step 3: Verify the Login in the main 1Password app
Switch back to the 1Password 3 main app, and verify that the Login you just saved in your web browser shows up in list of Logins in the main app.
- If the Login you created in the browser shows up in the main app, quit 1Password 3, and uninstall the 1Password 3 extension by following the steps below.
- If the Login you created in the browser does not show up in the main app, send a diagnostics report to 1Password Support.
Remove the 1Password 3 extension
Make sure you complete the steps to verify that your Logins have been saved in 1Password. The steps above must be completed to verify that Logins in the extension are showing up in the main 1Password 3 app. If you skip the steps above, you may lose some or all of your data.
To remove the 1Password 3 extension from Safari:
- Click the Safari menu and choose Preferences.
- Click the Extensions icon, then select 1Password from the list.
- Click the Uninstall button to remove the 1Password 3 extension.
Quit and restart Safari.
To remove the 1Password 3 extension from Chrome:
- Click the Chrome menu in the toolbar and choose More Tools > Extensions.
- Find the 1Password extension and click Remove.
Quit and restart Chrome.
To remove the 1Password 3 extension from Firefox:
- Click the Firefox menu in the toolbar and choose Add-ons.
- Find 1Password 3 in the list and click Remove.
Quit and restart Firefox.
To install the latest 1Password extension
If you upgraded to the latest version of 1Password, install the latest 1Password extension.