Set up Touch ID
Before you can set up Touch ID in 1Password, you’ll need to set up Touch ID for your device. Then follow these steps:
- Open and unlock 1Password.
- Tap Settings > Security.
- Turn on Touch ID.
Now you can use your fingerprint to unlock 1Password. But don’t forget your Master Password. Sometimes you’ll need to enter it instead of using Touch ID.
Use Touch ID
After setting up Touch ID, open 1Password. If 1Password is locked, you can use Touch ID instead of your Master Password. Lightly touch the Home button to unlock 1Password.
Sometimes you won’t see the prompt:
- If you’ve canceled the Touch ID prompt
- If you’ve restarted your device
Depending on your settings, you might see the Touch ID button below the Master Password field. Tap it and the prompt will appear.
Manage your settings
To change how often your Master Password is required instead of your fingerprint, go to Settings > Advanced > Security.
- Require Master Password: If you want 1Password to require your Master Password instead of Touch ID after restarting your device or after a specific amount of time, change this setting. By default, 1Password will not ask for your Master Password in those cases.
Learn more about automatically locking 1Password.
Sometimes you’ll need to enter your Master Password instead of using Touch ID:
- If your fingerprint isn’t recognized three times in a row
- If you tapped Settings > Security > Lock Now
- If you’re trying to change your Master Password
- If Require Master Password is set to After Device Restart in Settings > Advanced > Security, and you’ve just restarted your device
- If the amount of time in Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password has elapsed
If you still need help, follow these steps. Try again after each step:
- Make sure you have the latest version of 1Password.
- Make sure that you are able to use Touch ID to unlock your device.
- Turn off Touch ID in 1Password > Settings > Security, then turn it back on again.
- Try enrolling a different finger.