Your Emergency Kit is a PDF document with your account details and a place to write your 1Password account password. If you fill out your Emergency Kit and store it safely, it will allow you to access your 1Password account if you can’t sign in.
Get your Emergency Kit
1Password asks you to save your Emergency Kit when you create an account. Check your Downloads folder to see if you already have yours. You can get another copy of your Emergency Kit on 1Password.com:
- Sign in to your account on 1Password.com.
- Click your name in the top right and choose My Profile.
- Click Save Emergency Kit and follow the onscreen instructions to save the PDF.
If your administrator turned off Emergency Kits for your team or if you unlock 1Password with your identity provider, you won't be able to save one.
Prepare your Emergency Kit
Follow these tips to prepare your Emergency Kit and store it safely:
- Print a copy to keep in a safe deposit box or with your passport or birth certificate.
- Write your 1Password account password in at least one printed copy of your Emergency Kit.
- Save it to your personal cloud storage, so you always have a digital copy available.
- Give a copy to someone you trust, like your spouse or someone in your will.
Should I write down my 1Password account password?
Consider what would happen if you ever forgot it or how a loved one would access your account in an emergency. If you don’t write it down, it’s still important to keep a copy of your Emergency Kit, so you don’t lose your Secret Key.
Use your Emergency Kit
Your Emergency Kit contains everything needed to sign in to your account on 1Password.com or in the apps:
- Sign-in address. The web address you use to sign in to your account.
- Email address. The email address you used to create your account.
- Secret Key. A unique code which protects your data. Learn more.
- Account password. A place to record your 1Password account password.
- Setup Code. A QR code that makes it easy to sign in on new devices.
Turn off Emergency Kits for your team
If you’re an administrator or owner in a 1Password Business account, you can turn off Emergency Kits for your team.