With 1Password Business, custom groups make it easy to manage your team by project, department, or location. Learn how to manage group members and the vaults they have access to. Grant team-level permissions to groups, like the ability to recover accounts or invite people to the team.
Create a group
To create a group, click New Group and give your group a name. You can also give your group a description and an icon.
When you’re done, click Create Group.
You’re the group manager, and can now manage group members, vaults, and permissions.
Manage group membership
To add people to a group, click Manage in the People section. Select the team members to add, then click Done.
To manage a group member, click next to their name:
- To promote them to group manager, choose Manager.
- To remove them from the group, choose Remove from Group.
Team members can belong to multiple groups, and there is no limit to the size of a group.
Manage group access to vaults
You can give everyone in a group access to specific vaults and assign vault permissions, like the ability to create and remove items from the vault.
To add or remove group access to a vault, click Manage in the Vaults section. Select or deselect vaults, then click Done.
To change vault permissions for the group, click the gear icon next to the name of the vault. Select or deselect permissions, then click Done.
If a team member has both individual and group vault permissions, the most permissive of the two will always be used. Learn more about vault permissions.
Manage group permissions
Group permissions are team-level capabilities you can grant to everyone who is a member of a group. For example, the Manage People permission allows group members to invite people to your team, suspend and delete their accounts.
To assign group permissions, click Manage in the Permissions section. Select or deselect permissions, then click Done.
Custom groups can have the following permissions:
- Create Vaults
- Create and share vaults, and manage their membership and contents.
- View Admin Console
- View the Dashboard and Activity Log.
- Recover Accounts
- Recover accounts for team members who have lost their Master Password or Secret Key.
- Manage People
- Invite people to the team, suspend and delete their accounts.
- Suspend People
- Suspend accounts of people on the team.
- Invite & Remove People
- Invite people to the team and delete their accounts.
- Manage All Groups
- Manage membership, vaults, and permissions for all custom groups.
- Manage Settings
- Change team-level settings, like the team name and sign-in address.
- Manage Billing
- Manage subscription, add credit cards, and see invoices.
- Delete Account
- Delete the entire team, including all team member accounts and data.