Step 1: Back up your data
Before you begin, back up your 1Password data:
- Open and unlock 1Password 6.
- Choose File > Backup from the menu bar to create a current backup of your 1Password data.
Step 2: Install 1Password 7 and import your standalone vaults
Next, download 1Password 7 for Mac and install it. When you open the app for the first time:
- You can choose a vault to import.
- Your folders will be converted to tags.
Step 3: Sign up for a 1Password account
After you import your standalone vaults into 1Password 7, click Subscribe Today to sign up for a 1Password membership. Set up your account, then migrate your data to your 1Password account.
If you don’t see a message to Subscribe Today, choose 1Password 7 > Get a 1Password Membership from the menu bar.
Step 4: Migrate your data to your 1Password account
Next, 1Password will prompt you to move your data over to your new 1Password account. Click Move Data and follow the onscreen instructions to finish migrating your data.
If 1Password doesn’t prompt you to move your data, you can manually move items into your account:
- Click Vault in the menu bar and select Switch to Vault > Primary.
- Click All Items in the sidebar.
- Select any item in the list, then click Edit in the menu bar and select Select All.
- Click Item in the menu bar and select Copy to Vault > Personal or Private.
- Sign in to your account on 1Password.com to make sure all your items are there.
- In 1Password 7 for Mac, click Vault in the menu bar and select Switch to Vault > Primary.
- Click Vault in the menu bar and select Delete Vault.
Step 5: Install 1Password 8
After you’ve migrated your data to your 1Password account, download 1Password 8 for Mac and install it. When you open the app for the first time, you’ll see your new 1Password account and all your data.
Get help if you’re having trouble migrating your data.