Create vaults to share items with other people on your team. You can also manage the access each person has in each vault. Sign in to your account on 1Password.com to get started.
Create a vault
To create a vault, click New Vault on your Home page.
To choose from a list of suggested vaults, click Suggestions and select a vault from the list. Your new vault will be created automatically.
To create a custom vault, click Custom and give your vault a name. You can also add a description and an icon. Administrators on your team can manage your vault by default. If you turn off this option, only team owners will have access to your vault. When you’re done, click Create Vault.
Your new vault will appear on all your devices. Learn how to move or copy items into it to keep things organized.
Share a vault
You can share a vault with existing team members or groups. You can also invite new people to your team and share a vault with them.
To share a vault:
- Click Vaults in the sidebar, then click the name of the vault you want to share.
- Click Share Vault, then enter the name of a team member or group.
If you want to invite a new person, enter their email address.
- Select the name of the team member or group in the dropdown menu.
If you’re inviting a new person, select their email address in the dropdown menu.
- Repeat the previous steps for each person or group you want to share the vault with, then click Save.
After you’ve shared the vault, existing team members and groups can view and edit items in it on all their devices. People who were invited must accept their invitation and be confirmed before they can access the vault.
To manage access to a vault, click Vaults in the sidebar, then click the name of the vault you want to manage. You’ll see the vault’s details.
Manage app access
To choose which apps can be used to access a vault, click Manage next to App Access. Select or deselect the apps, then click Update App Access.
To change the permissions for a person or group, click to the right of a person or group. You’ll see different permissions, depending on your plan:
1Password Teams includes three permissions:
- Allow Viewing: view items in the vault, view concealed passwords, and copy item details, including passwords, to the clipboard
- Allow Editing: create, edit, move, copy, print, archive, and delete items in the vault
- Allow Managing: grant and revoke access to the vault, change permissions for others, and delete the vault
1Password Business includes five permissions:
- View Items
- Create Items
- Edit Items
- Archive Items
- Delete Items
Client settings provide additional control:
- View and Copy Passwords: view concealed passwords and copy them to the clipboard
- View Item History: view and restore previous versions of items in the vault
- Import Items: move or copy items into the vault
- Export Items: save items in the vault to an unencrypted file that other apps can read
- Copy and Share Items: copy items between vaults, or share them outside of 1Password
- Move Items: move items to another vault
- Print Items: print the contents of items in the vault
Manage Vault allows a team member to grant and revoke access to the vault, change permissions for others, and delete the vault.
Edit a vault
To change a vault’s name or description, click Edit Details. Enter a new name or description, then click Save.
To permanently remove a vault and all its items from your team, click More Actions > Delete Vault.
When you delete a shared vault, it will also be removed from the devices of everyone you were sharing it with. Private vaults can’t be renamed or deleted.
If someone can’t access the information they’re supposed to:
- Make sure their account setup has been completed and confirmed by an administrator.
- Make sure the vault is shared with them.
Guests can only have access to one vault.
- Make sure they have the permissions they need in the vault.
If you’ve stopped sharing a vault with someone and they still have access, make sure they’re not in a group that has access to the vault.
If you’re not sure who has access to a vault, click Vaults in the sidebar, then click the name of the vault. You’ll see a list of the people and groups who have access to it. You can also create a usage report for the vault to see who has access.
If you don't see Vaults in the sidebar, click on a vault on the Home screen. If you don't see on the vault, make sure you have the "Manage Vault" permission for that vault.
If you need to share an item with someone you don’t share a vault with or who doesn’t use 1Password, learn how to securely share an item with anyone.