Set up Biometric Unlock
- Open and unlock 1Password.
- Tap Settings > Security, then tap to turn on Biometric Unlock.
- Place your finger on the fingerprint sensor, or let your device scan your face or eyes.
From now on, you’ll be able to unlock 1Password with your fingerprint, or with a simple glance, instead of your Master Password.
Use Biometric Unlock
After setting up Biometric Unlock, open 1Password. You’ll be asked to use your fingerprint, face, or eyes instead of your Master Password. Place your finger on the fingerprint sensor, or let your device scan your face or eyes, until 1Password unlocks.
If you don’t see the unlock prompt, tap the fingerprint button above the Master Password field.
Manage your settings
To change your Biometric Unlock settings in 1Password, go to Settings > Security. You’ll find several settings and options:
- Lock on exit: Lock 1Password every time you leave the app or lock your device.
- Automatically lock: Lock 1Password after the specified amount of time has elapsed.
Sometimes, you’ll need to enter your Master Password instead of using Biometric Unlock:
- If your fingerprint, face, or eyes aren’t recognized several times in a row
- If you’re trying to change your Master Password
- If you add or delete fingerprint, face, or eye data from your device
If you still need help, follow these steps. Try again after each step:
- Make sure you have the latest version of 1Password.
- Make sure you can unlock your device with your fingerprint, face, or eyes.
- Turn off Biometric Unlock in 1Password > Settings > Security, then turn it on again.
- Try adding a different fingerprint or deleting your face data and adding it again.
Biometric Unlock requires a device that supports the Android BiometricPrompt API. Unlocking 1Password with your fingerprint requires a fingerprint sensor and Android 6 (Marshmallow) or later. Unlocking 1Password with your face or eyes requires facial recognition or an iris scanner and Android 10 or later.
If your device doesn’t have a fingerprint sensor, facial recognition, or an iris scanner, you can use a PIN code to unlock 1Password.