1Password complies with the requirements of the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Read our GDPR statement.
1Password was designed with a deep respect for your privacy. The data you save in 1Password is encrypted and inaccessible to us. Anything else is only ever used to provide you with service and support.
Data saved in 1Password
Your passwords, credit cards, notes, and all your other items are protected with strong encryption:
- All your passwords and other saved items are private. The vaults and items you save in 1Password are end-to-end encrypted with keys that only you possess.
- Your 1Password account password is private. We don’t know your account password and can’t reset it or bypass it to access your data.
- Your metadata is private. Metadata like titles, URLs, tags, and custom icons are also encrypted.
Personally identifiable information
We collect only the information necessary to provide our services and assist you in troubleshooting. We collect information about:
- Your 1Password account: What kind of account you signed up for, who owns that account, and how that account has been paid for.
- Your usage: When you log in, how many vaults you create, how many items are stored in your vaults, and how much storage space you use.
- You: Your IP address, the devices connected to your account, and the name, email address, and profile pictures that you have given to us.
We will not provide identifiable non-public information unless we believe in good faith that:
- We are responding to an enforceable Law Enforcement Request;
- Disclosure is necessary to protect the safety of a user or the safety of others; or
- Disclosure is necessary to investigate fraud or other criminal activity.
See the 1Password Government Request Guidelines for more information.
We give you the option to share your in-app usage data with 1Password, to help us make 1Password better for everyone. If you choose to participate in telemetry, we collect information about actions you take in the 1Password apps.
- We won’t collect product usage telemetry data without your consent. Telemetry is optional. We won’t collect your usage data without your awareness and consent.
- You choose whether or not to share. If you choose to share your in-app usage data with 1Password, you can stop sharing at any time.
- Designed to protect your privacy. Telemetry at 1Password is designed to protect your privacy. Any data collected is de-identified and aggregated, so it isn’t linked to you in our analytics.
Privacy features in 1Password
Watchtower tells you about password breaches and other security problems with the items you have saved in 1Password. Everything is checked locally on your own device. Your websites and password are never sent to us or anyone else. Learn more about Watchtower privacy.
- About the 1Password security model
- How to keep your 1Password account secure
- How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service
- How to participate in telemetry at 1Password
- About 1Password browser permissions
- About 1Password diagnostics reports
- About Watchtower privacy in 1Password
- 1Password Security Design White Paper