1Password complies with the requirements of the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Read our GDPR statement.
1Password was designed with a deep respect for your privacy. The data you save in 1Password is encrypted and inaccessible to us. Anything else is only ever used to provide you with service and support.
Data saved in 1Password
Your passwords, credit cards, notes, and all your other items are protected with strong encryption:
- All your passwords and other saved items are private. The vaults and items you save in 1Password are end-to-end encrypted with keys that only you possess.
- Your Master Password is private. We don’t know your Master Password and can’t reset it or bypass it to access your data.
- Your metadata is private. Metadata like titles, URLs, tags, and custom icons are also encrypted.
Personally identifiable information
We collect only the information necessary to provide our services and assist you in troubleshooting. We collect information about:
- Your 1Password account: What kind of account you signed up for, who owns that account, and how that account has been paid for.
- Your usage: When you log in, how many vaults you create, how many items are stored in your vaults, and how much storage space you use.
- You: Your IP address, the devices connected to your account, and the name, email address, and profile pictures that you have given to us.
Personally identifiable information is never shared with third parties.
Privacy features in 1Password
Some features in 1Password take additional measures to protect your privacy:
- Watchtower downloads the list of compromised sites to your device before checking if your logins are affected, so no information about your logins is shared with us. Integration with haveibeenpwned.com is provided on an opt-in basis. Learn more about Watchtower.
- Rich icons are downloaded for the logins you have saved in 1Password. Requests are made anonymously, discarded immediately, and not logged anywhere.
- Standalone vaults give you full control over where your information is saved. These vaults are not hosted with your 1Password account, and we know nothing about them – not the number of items in them, how they are synced, or even that they exist. You can even create vaults that aren’t synced at all.